Tuesday, September 22, 2009

they're overdue

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer

My rating: 5 of 5 starsOne of the few books that I didn't hesistate a moment to give it all 5 stars. Truly wonderful from start to finish. Comprised completely of letters, telegraphs and journal entries, this book follows a writer in London just coming out of WWII. Juliet recieves a letter from a man living on the small island of Guernsey, which had been occupied by German soldiers during the war. From an inquiry he poses to her about an author they form an aquaintance and then a friendship as she learns about the book club that formed from dire circumstances and kept its members sane in wartime.
Charming, interesting, and so real I felt like I was reading real letters from real people. I couldn't put this book down. The main character, Juliet, is witty and sweet and cutting, especially when it comes to her own faults, and the people on the island of Guernsey are so lovable and palpable that I want to go there and visit them. This book is filled with places and people that I want to return to again and again.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/788935-mandy">View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

Mickie Ann said...

I'll have to read this one!! I finshed "Hunter Games" I really liked it - hated the whole "hunter games - HORRIBLE concept!! What is the name of the second book. I need to get it from the library!!!

Unknown said...

I just started reading this one! I LOVE IT and I dont usually enjoy reading books! I am only a few letters in but I am loving it and am excited to keep reading when I have time! Will you be able to join us this weekend?