Wednesday, June 15, 2011

don't float your boat

Broil it!
Dinner tonight.
Greek salad and broiled baby zucchini boats.It is not yet crazy zucchini season here, where you stop answering your door because you are 99.9% sure that it is one of your neighbors bringing you ginormous zucchini from their garden. But I have been working in my garden all day, and I bought some zucchini the other day, and, well, it had to be eaten.
and eaten.
and eaten.
This recipe is AMAZING!! Try it now.
I am going to run to the store tonight to buy more zucchini.
Must have more.
Broiled Baby Zucchini Boats
Recipe by Mollie Katzen

1 TBS Olive Oil
2 TSP Minced Garlic
4 small zucchini or summer squash, halved lengthwise
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

Heat broiler. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet on medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook 10 seconds, until golden. Do not brown. Arrange zucchini halves cut side down in skillet; season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium and cook 8 minutes, or until caramelized on cut surface and just tender. Turn over; sprinkle cut side with cheese and cook 1 minute longer. Transfer skillet to broiler; broil until cheese is melted and golden* brown, about 3 minutes.

*Note: Some cheese will miss the zucchini. This cheese with get melted, then golden, and become little cheese crispies. Save yourself some time and "accidentally" spill another 1/4 cup of parm around your zucchini. I was warned about spilled milk, but no one ever told me how addictive spilled cheese is!

In hind-sight I will leave the stems on next time because I think they will be 30% more cute and I definitely plan on serving this to friends. Do what you want with them, but, trust me, you want to eat your veggies this time.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Whoa, those look so good!

Kyrsten said...

im going to need to steal these!