Wednesday, September 14, 2011

better than the best

 Friday night was Black Bean Soup night at our house. 
I have recently become obsessed with this recipe, and subsequently with the Our Best Bites blog since I saw the recipe for this soup printed in LDS Living magazine. I knew I had to try it. And I am so glad I did. In fact, I think that we have had it just about every-other-week for the past three months! And I am no where near sick of it yet. Though the soup stands on its own, my favorite part is coming up with new mix-ins and sides to pair it with each time! 
The best so far is adding homemade pico de gallo, sliced avocado, cheese, lime, and sour cream. Oh! And lots and lots of tortilla chips! But maybe that's just because it's what we had this weekend.
Another perk to making this soup this last month- I have been able to use lots of fresh veggies from my very own garden! There is nothing like homemade pico with tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and cilantro from your own back yard!
Since we had a friend over for dinner on Friday, I decided to try a new recipe from the girls at Our Best Bites along with my killer soup:
Throw some water, sugar and sliced limes, skin and all, into a blender, mix in some sweetened condensed milk (yep, you read right. SCM. Weird, huh?) and serve over lots of ice (To me nothing worth drinking is ever less than almost-frozen cold). 
Crazy, right? 
No. Delicious. Honestly, this lemonade hits all of your taste buds in a different way. You have to try it to know what I'm talking about.
 The most amazing part is that I was able to throw this together in less than an hour, since that's all the warning I had that someone was coming to dinner, and my plan up to that point was "Uhh I don't know. Leftovers?" Though it didn't hurt that I live kitty-corner to a Mexican food market.
Try this meal and let me know what you think. You're going to love it. I just know it.

No comments: